Monday, April 15, 2013

Yet another cry of ‘country is going down the drains’

A very happy new year to all! It’s the year 2011.As the celebration and vacations come to an end I find nothing to cheer or look up to in the New Year on reading India News. Newspapers are abundant with scams, corrupt ministers, murder and rape. Although our very very special Laxman did restore pride to level the series with SA and we can hope from Tendlya and Gambhir to help win the series. A tiny shimmer of joy and hope amidst the ghastly start to the New Year!

I take this opportunity to express my disgust, anger and frustration on an agency that I relied on as a child quite naively as honest protectors of India. It never had power of governance but I felt assured that when it came into picture it could definitely keep a check on the governors. I was so wrong. In the New Year this agency has lived up to its reputation.

I am talking about the Central Bureau of Investigation. I guess I am not the only one who thinks, ‘How is it possible that an agency like CBI says that we have to close the Arushi Murder case as we have no evidence and no eye witness? ’ The top most investigative agency of India cannot solve a murder case? A case just 2 years old by now! How can the CBI give up so easily? Another story that made news in this new year was about the Bofors case. An embarrassing income tax revelation for CBI contradicting it on the Bofors case came forth.

Wise men have said in the past that CBI has always been a tool of the ruling government for mending and bending rules. It has been often criticized by media, opposition and the Supreme Court for corruption, haste, mishandling of evidence etc. Charges of corruption, favoritism and failure to produce evidence are all our generation has heard from the CBI.

The wise guy now-a-days is Wikipedia. The CBI wiki page is half filled with the controversies it has been in(not investigated) right from Bhopal gas tragedy, hawala, Dawood case, bofors to nithari. (If anyone was wondering still what happened to Moninder Pandher from the Nithari episode; he has been acquitted on account of lack of evidence). Moreover what is even more disheartening is there isn’t a single success story of CBI on that page.

The result and final verdict of these cases is not what I have problem with. Whether Arushi’s father or Moninder Pandher were guilty or not is for the court to decide. But the court can decide only on the evidence that the investigative agencies can gather and present. Our blindfolded lady of justice still weighs whatever the investigative agencies provide; facts, speculations, possible suspects, huge reports and no evidence. She still dispenses justice.

My romanticism for a state of the art CBI team (probably picked up from watching CID) cracking down on crime has long been lost. All I know is, I may not ever know what really happened in any of the scams. There is no reason I should feel bad about this too as even the chief investigating agency of our country is as much in darkness as I am. So in this new year I look forward with high hopes and abated breath to the result of 2G scam investigation and assure myself ‘sab kuch theek hai, CBI investigate kar rahi hai…..’

1 comment:

  1. Ashim3:37 PM

    guys pls comment, baad has been tryin to say smthin for a long time! :D

    ReplyDelete